The Essential 8 ExplainedCyber attacks are becoming more common and clever. So how do you prepare and protect yourself?
Cyber Security companies and government agencies all talk about the Essential Eight and how it will mitigate a cyber attack. But what is it?
Not all threats are from malicious external attackers. Many can be the innocent employee who inadvertently has clicked the wrong link or installed a corrupt program. Cyber threats are a multi layered problem and not one strategy can cover them.
The Essential 8 is a recommended strategy to be a baseline in your defence against cyber threats and the potential impacts they can have. With these strategies in place, it will make it much harder for attacks (internal or external) to compromise your systems. The Essential 8 can proactively be more cost-effective in terms of time, cost and response effort to a successful cyber security incident.
The Essential 8 are:
- Application Whitelisting - unauthorised applications are not accessible
- Patching Applications - remove any security vulnerabilities by being up to date in releases
- Configuring Microsoft Office macro settings - blocking untrusted macros
- Application Hardening - protection from vulnerable functionality
- Restricting Administrative Privileges - limit powerful access to systems
- Patching Operating Systems - to remediate known security vulnerabilities
- Multi-Factor Authentication - protection against risky activities
- Daily Backups - maintain the availability of critical data
Every business, big or small, should have as their baseline the Essential 8 actively in place across their whole business.
For more information, contact Servitel or visit: